Authors: Boston Rock
An ex bike messenger and big Boston music fan. His books are filled with references to mostly 80s Boston bands and even lyrics.
- Bosstown (2017)
- A Town Called Malice (2019) - Our Review
Johnny thrilled us with Thrills
and the Blackjacks. For his first book Looking For Lady Dee
he put a lot of the Boston early punk scene as a backdrop to a mystery.
Johnny played all over in the
early punk days with the Johnny Barnes Group. He still plays guitar,
but after retiring from being a Policeman he started to write
mysteries featuring Jack Kelly. Earlier books mention some Boston
bands/clubs. Dead on the Internet is the book where he
delivers some visceral violence.
Lead singer of Thundertrain and more specifically to his book
- singer for the Joe Perry Project. The book is a diary of his
two years with Joe Perry.
- Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker (2019)
She was deep into the scene in the 80s and worked up this fun cook book.
- The Boston Rock 'n Roll Cookbook (1987)
He played with Scruffy the Cat.
Now he's a well-respected writer. Under the name Rory Flynn he
has written two crime novels (Third Rail/Dark Horse)
with some Boston punk groups mentioned in passing.
- Dark Horse (2016)
- Third Rail (2014)
- Give + Take (2010)
- Printer's Devil (2009)
- Senseless (2001)
- Strategies for Success (1992)
He was in the group Cold Water Flat. Tinkers
won a Pulitzer Prize.
He played for the Atlantics and wrote a novel about a band - write about what you know, they say.
He led the Turbines who were way popular in their time. He wrote one novel.
- The Story of Johnny Wylde
He was in the group Loose Ties. He used his life experience to write a fiction novel of a group in Boston.
It's all about living and playing in the Boston scene.
Michael Patrick MacDonald
Michael got tons of attention for his two books. They have local color and family turmoil
along with some remembrances of the local scene.
- All Souls (1999)
- Easter Rising: A Memoir of Roots and Rebellion (2006) - Our review.
Brett's been on the scene for
a long time writing criticism for many publications. His major
opus is The Sound of Our Town. It's nothing less than
the history of Boston rock from the beginning. It's essential
for any Boston rock fan.
- Boston Rock Trivia (1985)
- Vinyl Junkie(2003) - Our review.
- The Sound of Our Town(2007) - Our review.
- Don't All Thank Me At Once: The Lost Pop Genius of Scott Miller (2013) - Our review.
- 300 Songs For 300 Years (2019)
Once Dave turned from playing rock (True Blue/Trademarks)
to poetry he has been a real work horse, putting out books at
a good pace. Our fave is the one completely focused on rock and
the Boston Scene called Clubland.
- Clubland Our review.
- Sweet - Our review.
- Brand New Day
- Black Boat, Black Water, Black Sand
- Lonely Life of Spies
- Hot Tears of Shame
- The Whole Magillah
- Shake Hands With Your Heart
- Cancer Poems
- Rhythm & Bruise (2007)
- Welcome Homesick
She was there in the very beginning of Boston punk. First poet on the scene
Michael was in Unband. This
is the guy and book no one knows about but is by far the funniest
and well written rock memoir out there.
She was a major music critic. Now
she has many books to her credit. World Enough is a mystery
with the Boston music scene as the backdrop.
- World Enough (2017)
- Theda Krakow Books (4 in series)
- Dulcie Schwartz Books (10 in series)
- Pru Marlowe Books (7 in series)
- Blackie & Care Mysteries Books (3 in series)
- A Spell of Murder(2018)
- Mad House(1997)
- Fatherless Women(2001)
- The Feline Mystique (2002)
He put out books with material from his
- Let's Go To The Rat (2013)
- Women Who Rocked Boston (2015)
- The Last Pow Wow Oak (2011)
- The Last Farm in Lowell (2010)
- Grindstone Redux: 1980 Underground Network (2010)
You know her, she's in the front at every concert you go to. She has several books of photos.
- Boston Punk (2010)
- Rock of Boston: Sots, Snobs and Soul (2011)
Jake is new presence on the scene
with one poetry book to his credit.
She had a good career in the 90s and wrote up a memoir.