Authors: Boston Rock
An ex bike messenger and big Boston music fan. His books are filled
with references to mostly 80s Boston bands and even lyrics.
- Bosstown (2017)
- A Town Called Malice (2019) - Our
Johnny thrilled us with Thrills and the Blackjacks. For his first
book Looking For Lady Dee he put a lot of the Boston
early punk scene as a backdrop to a mystery.
Nancy writes about the hardcore scene beginning in Philladelphia and ending in Boston.
- I'm Not Holding Your Coat (2021)
Johnny played all over in the early punk days with the Johnny
Barnes Group. He still plays guitar, but after retiring from being
a Policeman he started to write mysteries featuring Jack Kelly.
Earlier books mention some Boston bands/clubs. Dead on the
Internet is the book where he delivers some visceral violence.
Lead singer of Thundertrain and more specifically to his first
book - singer for the Joe Perry Project. The book is a diary of
his two years with Joe Perry.
His second book is a another diary, this time of the earlier days of Boston rock and Boston punk.
- Once a Rocker, Always a Rocker (2019)
- I Gotta Rock (2021)
She was deep into the scene in the 80s and worked up this fun
- The Boston Rock 'n Roll Cookbook (1987)
He played with Scruffy the Cat. Now he's a well-respected writer.
Under the name Rory Flynn he has written two crime novels (Third
Rail/Dark Horse) with some Boston punk groups mentioned in
- Dark Horse (2016)
- Third Rail (2014)
- Give + Take (2010)
- Printer's Devil (2009)
- Senseless (2001)
- Strategies for Success (1992)
He was in the group Cold Water Flat. Tinkers won a Pulitzer
He played for the Atlantics and wrote a novel about a band - write
about what you know, they say.
He led the Turbines who were way popular in their time. He wrote
- The Story of Johnny Wylde
Guitarist for A Bunch of Jerks. Has three books dealing with Eerie Publications who published horror comics.
- The Weird World of Eerie Publications (2010)
- The Worst of Eerie Publications (2014)
- The Weird Indexes of Eerie Publications (2012)
- Eerie Publications - The Complete Covers: The Whole Bloody Mess
He was in the group Loose Ties. He used his life experience to
write a fiction novel of a group in Boston. It's all about living
and playing in the Boston scene.
Michael Patrick MacDonald
Michael got tons of attention for his two books. They have local
color and family turmoil along with some remembrances of the local
- All Souls (1999)
- Easter Rising: A Memoir of Roots and Rebellion (2006)
- Our review.
She had the idea and she did the follow through. Why not have aerobics with punk music?
She has the program live on stage, on YouTube videos and in this book.
- Punk Rock Aerobics (2004)
Brett's been on the scene for a long time writing criticism for
many publications. His major opus is The Sound of Our Town.
It's nothing less than the history of Boston rock from the beginning.
It's essential for any Boston rock fan.
- Boston Rock Trivia (1985)
- Vinyl Junkie(2003) - Our
- The Sound of Our Town(2007) - Our
- Don't All Thank Me At Once: The Lost Pop Genius of Scott
Miller (2013) - Our review.
- 300 Songs For 300 Years (2019)
Once Dave turned from playing rock (True Blue/Trademarks) to poetry
he has been a real work horse, putting out books at a good pace.
Our fave is the one completely focused on rock and the Boston
Scene called Clubland.
- Clubland Our
- Sweet - Our review.
- Brand New Day
- Black Boat, Black Water, Black Sand
- Lonely Life of Spies
- Hot Tears of Shame
- The Whole Magillah
- Shake Hands With Your Heart
- Cancer Poems
- Rhythm & Bruise (2007)
- Welcome Homesick
- A Murder of Crows (2021)
She was there in the very beginning of Boston punk. First poet
on the scene
Michael was in Unband. This is the guy and book no one knows about
but is by far the funniest and well written rock memoir out there.
She was a major music critic. Now she has many books to her credit.
World Enough is a mystery with the Boston music scene
as the backdrop.
- Hold Me Down (2021)
- World Enough (2017)
- Theda Krakow Books (4 in series)
- Dulcie Schwartz Books (10 in series)
- Pru Marlowe Books (7 in series)
- Blackie & Care Mysteries Books (3 in series)
- A Spell of Murder(2018)
- Mad House(1997)
- Fatherless Women(2001)
- The Feline Mystique (2002)
He put out books with material from his movies.
- Let's Go To The Rat (2013)
- Women Who Rocked Boston (2015)
- The Last Pow Wow Oak (2011)
- The Last Farm in Lowell (2010)
- Grindstone Redux: 1980 Underground Network (2010)
You know her, she's in the front at every concert you go to. She
has several books of photos.
- Boston Punk (2010)
- Rock of Boston: Sots, Snobs and Soul (2011)
Jake is new presence on the scene with one poetry book to his
She had a good career in the 90s and wrote up a memoir.
Ryan is in the group Hallelujah The Hills. The book covers the
goings on in Boston in 1968. That includes the Bosstown Sound.
Was a member of the Del Fuegoes.
- Petty: The Biography - (2015)
- Revolutions in Sound: Warner Bros. Records, the First Fifty Years - (2009)
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream - (2007)
- Dusty Springfield's Dusty in Memphis - (2003)
Ted was in the Lost. The book is from his days from then to now.
Galen was in the Universal Underpass. The books is about his bands
on the North Shore and then into Boston with the Bosslown Sound.
- Thru The Underpass (2018)